Turns out for serious PHP development, Netbeans is great (yes, even on the Mac):
- The PHP integration is comprehensive, especially for things like syntax highlighting/code-folding/syntax checking, navigating code, and looking up documentation.
- It integrates nicely with Git (and supports several other version control systems).
- There are some nifty plugins (and a few you should turn off if you don’t use them).
- So far it is the only IDE I’ve found with a decent PHP debugger integration using Xdebug.
- Most importantly it isn’t too clunky! Nothing worse than a slow development environment.
One thing that sucks is the dreary soul-crushing enterprise black-text-on-white-background theme. But that’s easily fixed with this Twilight Theme from NetTuts+. It’s a shame its not the default.
If you’re still not sold, check out the list of other major IDEs at NetTuts+.